Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Arrowroot

Arrowroot

Arrowroot is used as a thickener is some cooking recipes and in natural cosmetics.

It is harvested from a number of plants including the roots, tubers, or rhizomes of Maranta arundinacea
, or 
Zamia pumila.
 

To create a powder from these tubers, they must be washed first, then the paper-like skin needs to be removed. After removing the skin wash the root again and then let it drain thoroughly. Next the roots are placed in a mortar and mashed into a pulp. The milky liquid that is obtained needs to be passed through a coarse cloth and then the pure starch should be allowed to settle at the bottom. Place this in the sun to dry. When it is finished a light, white powder is the product which is odorless when it is dry. If moist it has a peculiar odor. 

If you don't want to make the powder, it can be purchased at Amazon.

Deodorant

Image result for picture of arrowroot deodorantThe powder is great when made into a deodorant. The recipe is very simple
combine 1/4 c. baking soda; 1/4 c. arrowroot powder; 5 T. coconut oil until it makes a firm texture, similar to that bought in a store. If desired, a few drops of essential oil can be added, depending on the desired results, I have added up to 10 drops of lavender oil to create a calming scent. When finished the mixture can be transferred to a lidded container and then store in a fridge. This should last a couple of months. 

Foundation

I also enjoy using arrowroot in a homemade foundation for my makeup. Many days this is all that I put on my face. The shade can be varied by changing the amounts of some of the ingredients. 
For example for lighter skin:
1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder should be slowly added to up 4 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1/4 t. nutmeg, 1/4 t. ginger until it is the desired tone.

After playing around with this recipe I have also added about 10 drops of vitamin E.

If you have a darker complexion begin with less arrowroot powder. 

I have also seen, but have not tried, recipes that use bentonite clay and essential oils. I don't know the amounts or how this works out, but if you try it and like it, let me know the amounts and if you like it. 

I also prefer a powder foundation, but have heard that by adding a drop or two of olive, jojoba or sweet almond oil, you can have the creamy foundation you are looking for. Maybe I will become brave enough to try this some time. If I do I will let you know how it works. 

If you have any other ways that you enjoy using arrowroot, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment